In a previous post, I discussed the difference between slurs and ties. This post focuses on entering slurs in Finale.
- Click the Smart Shape tool . The Smart Shape menu appears.
- Choose Smart Shape > Smart Slur Options. The most common way to enter slurs is to have them set to attach to notes.
- Double-click to add a 2-note slur.
- To add an extended slur, double-click the mouse but hold down the second click and drag through the notes.
Slurs Over a System Break
To add an extended slur, double-click the mouse but hold down the second click and drag through the system to the place where you want the slur to end.
Slurs that encompass Ties
When a slur starts on a tied note, the slur should start at the first of the notes that are tied together. Similarly, if a slur ends on a
tied note, the slur should end on the last of the tied notes.
The above is from “Standard Music Notation Practice”
To make slurs more visible, the very ends and the highest or lowest point of the arch should avoid touching a staff line.
Adding Slurs to Melismas with a Plug-in
If you have a number of slurs necessary over the word extensions (the melismas). To save time, you can add these automatically using the Auto Slur Melismas plug-in.
- Choose the Selection tool .
- Select the entire document or a select portion.
- Choose (Plug-ins in Windows) > Lyrics > Auto Slur Melismas. Finale analyzes the score and adds the slurs automatically.
Dashed or Dotted Slurs in Vocal Music
Dotted slurs are also used to indicate an editor’s suggestion (as opposed to the composers original markings). And sometimes they are used to indicate singing through a spot without taking a breath.
Dotted slurs are sometimes used in songs where the presence of a slur varies between stanzas.
Example 2: http://www0.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/My_God,_I_am_thine;_what_a_comfort_divine_%28Joel_Thorne%29
Dangling Slurs in First and Second Endings
There are times when you may not want the slurs to attach to the notes such as at first and second endings. See the example, below where the tie is leading to the second ending.
To do this:
- Choose the SmartShape Tool.
- Select SmartShape > Attach to Measures.
- Enter the slur by double-clicking on the Db half note in the 2nd ending and dragging the mouse to the left.
Copying Just the Slurs
- Click the Selection tool .
- Choose Edit > Edit Filter. The Edit Filter dialog box appears.
- Click Smart Shapes (Attached to Notes) and (Attached to Measures).
- Select the region containing the Smart Shapes you want to copy.
- Copy the selection: Edit > Copy.
- Go to the destination and right-click the mouse and choose Paste or Paste Multiple if you want to enter it in more than one bar.