I am often asked what books I recommend that focus on preparing scores and parts for performance and publication. Below are the books that I own and reference.
- Music Notation: A Manual of Modern Practice
by Garner Reed
- Behind Bars: The Definitive Guide to Music Notation (Faber Edition)
by Elaine Gould
- Music Notation: Preparing Scores and Parts
by Matthew Nicholl, Richard Grudzinski
- Music Engraving Today: The art and practice of digital notesetting (second edition)
By Steven Powell
- The Art of Music Copying : The Preparation of Music for Performance
by Clinton Roemer
- PAS Guide to Drumset Notation
by Norman Weinberg
- Standard Music Notation Practice
Music Publishers’ Association
Do you have others to add to the list? If so, please post a reply below.